Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

That Can't Smell Good.

Did you hear about the latest weight loss device?

It's a stomach pump.  Made by the peeps that make the Segway.  Not yet FDA approved.

Go check out the video HERE.

The practical side of my brain has lots of questions:

Why haven't I ever heard the Lap-Band port be referred to as "discrete"? Because my Lap-Band port is discrete.

The stuff that is pumped out is essentially barf, right? I personally only want to see my food once.

I wonder if that would be socially acceptable to publicly pump one's stomach?

Or maybe excuse oneself to the restroom?

Where do you keep the barf when you're done pumping? In your purse? In your glove box of your car? trunk? Hopefully there's a trash handy. Or maybe you clean the container? ewww...

Sounds like a lot of clean up to me.

Wouldn't people get hungry again the moment the food is pumped out?

Sounds like a vicious circle to me:

  1. I'm hungry
  2. I'll go eat a bunch of food
  3. Time to pump!
  4. Uh oh, I'm hungry again.
  5. Time to eat a bunch of food
  6. Time to pump!
Hmmmm...sorted of a medically-assisted and mechanical version of Bulimia?

Would it help the binge eaters continue the cycle?

What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. I think it is a horrid! How would one ever know what kind of nutrition they were getting? Sounds as bad as intentionally swallowing a tape worm. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking three cans: trash, recycling and puke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwwwww, that does not look nice, sound healthy or even a little bit practical :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the nail on the head, it's medically assisted bulimia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your love nugget button most of the time..but..love nugget with this post..ewwwwwwwww . I agree with all of what you said. barf in a cup? load, reload. I I can say there have been times when I did wish..after the fact that I can 'undo' what I had just done (years ago before band (bb)..but...an external port..I think not!!

    I won't even go into the infection issues that this must have associated with it.

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. LBG! I'm NOT THINKING Any type skinny body would be worth that NASTY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most appalling thing I've ever heard of. I can't believe the FDA will ever approve it. Surely common sense will play a part here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about this on the radio. Completely assisted bulemia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is the grossest thing I have ever seen...ewwwww!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an ostomy nurse, I am very concerned about this device. I cannot begin to fathom the medical, social, psychological issues that this would create. I understand that being overweight comes with its own set of issues; but I firmly believe that long-term, safe weight loss combines medical and psychological treatment. Having a device that allows you to eat all you want (because you can simply purge it), does not tackle the problem. I understand that it is being used/trialed in Europe. I can only hope that the FDA will not approve such a device.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummmm...this has bas news written all over it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't ever imagine this being a good idea for weight loss. Truly terrible. And yucky. Are people inserting the tube or whatever into their own band? Sounds sterile...

    www.thefatgirlthin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wait, the port is external? "Oh that? Nothing, just my barf pump port NBD"

    ReplyDelete