Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Monday, July 16, 2012

Why I Can Never Get Down With Y O L O

A new phrase / phenomenon has jumped into my brain.

I had never heard of it before.

That was until I went jet skiing in Florida a few weeks ago.

The surf shop, YOLO Watersports, that organized our jet ski tour was full of t-shirts, bumper stickers, key chains, and pretty much everything not nailed down with the phrase "YOLO."

YOLO = You Only Live Once.

Yep.

New to me.

I must not get out much.

It seems to be a movement or whatevs on the interwebs too.

And for some reason still to this day, the phrase BUGS the sh*t outta me.

It just gets my knickers in a twist.
Why?

Because I know that when I was a fatty, I used YOLO as one of my main excuses of why I could make horrible food choices and not exercise.

These were the usual thoughts that would creep into my brain:

"Hey, I only live once, I might as well eat that entire box of macaroni and cheese."

OR

"Oh, what the hell, I can eat half this pizza, you only live once, right?"


OR


"I don't want to go to the gym....I haven't been for months anyway and I don't want to miss out on that (party, movie, etc) tonight. I only live once."

Yep, this was my fatty mindset.

I totally get that the official YOLO movement is all about “carpe diem" and that oh so noble idea of living life to its fullest.  


But that's not how I interpret it.


Probably never will.


Sure, I'm all about making a bucket list and checking things off of said list:

Jump out of an airplane? Sure. Sign me up.

Travel the world to exotic destinations? Abso-freakin-lutely.

But instead of proclaiming "YOLO" when I feel the need for a bucket of cookies, I'll be using my time more wisely and planning for my future reincarnation as a spoiled house cat.

Because, as you may not know....I am down with the Dali Lama on this one.

15 comments:

  1. I agree with you, in that it opens up much opportunity for excuses. However, you can also spin it in this way . . .yolo . . .this is the one chance you get; don't blow it. Keep a healthy body, mind and spirit. Don't let pizza, ice cream, candy etc. get in the way of what you want to do. You can't go skydiving at 300 pounds. You can't hike a mountain with the ease you can with a healthy body. You can't travel comfortably if you're spilling into the seat next to you. Just my own opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and His Holiness the Dali Lama! Thats the exact language I use every time I make bad choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kelly - if we only get to live once then we should keep ourselves healthy, because it's our only chance to enjoy it! I know what you mean though, it's always easy to let those thoughts creep in. The ones I have to battle are the success thoughts "oh, you lost xx lbs this week, you can "afford" to eat some extra calories (in the form of cookies!)" It's always going to be a struggle either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly...great comment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I hate that phrase. I cringe anytime I hear people say it or post it on FB. So dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If someone ever says YOLO to me I will tell them to go jump off a bridge. YOLO is an Excuse!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA! I love your pictures...they are cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha ha ha, ah I've never heard of YOLO either. But I used to be the girl who used to eat the entire bag of chips within an hour's time and the entire jar of cheese dip too. 'Cuz you only live once :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you!!! So many times I have said "what the heck, 2 cookies won't hurt"....
    I am now trying to interpret YOLO as: you only live once, so get your BUTT to the gym!!!

    hahhaha
    xoxo
    dani
    www.thatfitnesschic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heart Dali lama ! Bitch pleaseeeee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought of it that way.... but then my fatty life was more one of denial. I Didn't, get out and seize the day because I knew I'd gain weight.... so I stayed home to avoid the buffet line or turned down dinner invites.... and still managed to pack on the lb s. So now I do YOLO with confidence that there's only so much damage I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard YOLO phrase like that. We all "live life once" unless you believe in re-incarnation but thats a topic for another discussion, anyways... but if we are so fat, out of shape and breath and can't even get out to live it then what does it really mean anyways???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that ending! I'm with you, I'm over the YOLO and though I embrace it on one level it sure is a great excuse-maker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. New one for me but a familiar refrain. I get that from people who say I'm too strict with my eating. Trust me when I say, I do allow myself some treats but not too many.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sing it, sister friend. I agree. "You only live once" is the equivalent of "I deserve it because...."
    Not saying I have this licked, but... I won't actually try to act like it is a good excuse.

    ReplyDelete