Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Appointment With the New Surgeon

I didn't get a band adjustment at my appointment yesterday.

My new surgeon prefers to take a looksy at my band with via flouro (barium swallow first). A new patient requirement.  I get "why" but I still want a fill.  Oh well.  Safety first I guess.

Onwards with the hunger.

Good times.

Anywhoozle, so you know that lovely questionnaire that most bariatric practices make you fill out prior to the visit with the doc?

Ya know, the one that asks you questions like:

  • What are you eating?
  • Are you vomiting?
  •  Do the purple elephants talk to you when you're feeling lonely? 
  • Are you exercising?
  • Are you taking vitamins?

Yep, my new surgeon has one of these very useful questionnaires too.

But there was a new-to-me question on that sheet of paper:

Any psychological problems, addiction transfer, substance abuse?

In those exact words and phrasing.

Excellent question! More people need to talk about these issues with their bariatric surgeons.

I wonder if patients would really answer this question honestly?

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting question. I don't think I have any of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about gastric bypass patients trading their food addiction for other addictions such as drugs. You do wonder if people will be honest. It's like the police office, who just stopped you for a taillight being out, asking if you have drugs or weapons. If you do, and you know you should not, do you cheerfully admit that they are in the back seat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a great question. And one he/she should follow up with in person occasionally. It is a real risk and one no one thinks will happen to them. If the question is asked as a routine, maybe folks won't feel like it is something to be so ashamed of. After all, most of us freely admit to having been food addicts. I hope people would be honest...it would probably just mean a referral to a psychologist trained in this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prior to my surgery I had to have a psych evaluation - my surgeon requires it for everyone. One of the things we talked about was addiction transfer - my therapist told me I'd end up being addicted to exercise - so right she was. I also got addicted to crushing on boys....not cheating on my husband but just crushing - I can see how it can get out of hand....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a interesting question, I have never really though of my food addiction transfering to something else but I really see how it could happen!
    Good luck with your barium swallow gosh I hate those, could they have picked anything that tasted that bad!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting question... but I guess I wont be seeing it anytime soon as I don't even get a questionaire before my visit? And in response to Gi, Barium isn't that bad... last week my surgeon was out of Barium and asked me to drink something else.... I have never in my life tasted anything so bad. Tasted like pee and pinesol mixed together (it was a clearish yellow color).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could answer that you haven't transferred your addiction, but the purple elephants talk to you when you are feeling lonely.

    ReplyDelete