Did you know that I found my healthier, skinnier self in the middle of nowhere, Oregon?
Who knew that my inner skinny girl was hiding up there in Oregon for all that time?
Not sure, but I sure am happy that I moved to Oregon six years ago and that I found her.
I moved to Oregon with my car packed to the ceiling on Memorial Day weekend 2007.
And here we are with Memorial Day Weekend 2013 just four days away. I'm so excited to be headed back to Oregon for a visit with all my friends.
Did I ever tell you that I almost chose NOT to move back to California eight months ago because of fear?
There were many, many fears actually.
These fears were not related to career choice, income, housing, or anything that I suppose most people would be worried about with a job change and out of state move.
Nope. That was the easy stuff for me.
What were my fears?
- The fear of leaving my healthy routines and schedule. I love me some structure.
- The fear of leaving my support system of close friends who watched me transform into the skinny girl.
- The fear of leaving behind my Jazzercise and Zumba classes.
- The fear of leaving behind all the behaviors that made me successful in losing 120 lbs and maintaining that weight loss.
- And of course, the ultimate fear that most of us who have lost a large amount of weight:
THAT I WILL GAIN ALL OF THE WEIGHT BACK.
I can remember talking with my older sister on the phone about these fears when I was deciding whether I would move back to California.
And do you know what she said?
"Don't worry about it, you've got it all figured out" (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing)
Now that I look back on the past eight months, I have learned that she was correct.
But more importantly, I have also learned:
- Healthy routines can change - but still be just as effective at keeping the weight off.
- That Zumba and Jazzercise can be replaced with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD.
- That I can make new friends and a form new support systems.
I now realize that moving back to California was the best decision for me and my healthier future.