Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Banded for Ten Years

Nope.

Not me.

I've been banded for over two and half years.

But I did receive an email from a follower (why does that sound rather cult-like?) that I just HAVE to tell you about.

I love receiving emails from you guys!

The email that I received from Gidget* was a little surprise out of the blue. Gidget and her husband, Moondoggie* were both banded on the same day in 2002.

Has is been TEN years of wedded, banded bliss?

Gidget said it was okay for me to share her email with you, so here's the 411:

"I have had a good experience with my band. Right now I don't have a fill and have kept off around 100 lbs. I would like to be about 10 lbs lighter, but what is new! I am a hiker, jogger, and walker. I am 62 and got the band in Mexico.

I wear a size 6 and am 5'9" tall. I have excess skin, and have only had a tummy tuck. Would have loved a leg lift and an face lift, but haven't gotten around to it.

My husband on the other hand had the same surgery the same day and has had a lot of trouble. He had his band replaced in 2005, and then almost died from complications in 2010. He is now having problems with where the scar tissue has started to close off his esophagus. He has kept off his 100 lbs and feels like most of this was worth it, since he was headed down the path of sitting on the couch never doing anything. We just got back from the doctors today and fortunately this won't require surgery..."

What do I take away from this email from a veteran bandster?
  1. That exercise is SO much a key part of weight loss and maintaining weight loss. A must-do for overall health in my opinion.
  2. That even with occasional complications, most bandsters are happy with the weight loss achieved. 100+ lb weight loss maintained with band issues?! WOW.
Thank you Gidget for your email and letting us all know how two, ten-year veteran bandsters are doing on their journeys! 
If you are too young to know who these people are, click HERE.
*Not their real names. Duh.

10 comments:

  1. hearing of complications scares me a little, but then I remember ALLLLLL of the complications that come with being overweight, and I know I did the right thing, admitting to myself that I needed this "tool" to help me get to a healthy weight, to avoid the health problems that come with obesity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder since the Band hasn't been around too long in US, what will happen after about 10 years...will it last, will it need to be replaced, will there be any long term complications?? etc etc. Thanks for sharing this email from a veteran. I don't have any regets on my decision to be banded. I also know the path I was headed on with obesity, Type 2 diabetes, hypertension could have far more significant risks down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful email. I do hope I am still above 100 pounds 6 years from now. So far I agree it is all worth it..what a great post!!!

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Complications scare me since I was self-pay, but I think I'm going to feel the same way - it's worth it. If I can stay this weight (or another 10-15lbs lighter) for the rest of my life I think I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing that email. I am 53 and have reached the end of my rope. I am just now starting the entire process. it is nice to know there is a network of folks willing to share stories, answer questions and be supportive to us "newbies". I look forward to being a part of this amazing network.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing that email. I am 53 and have reached the end of my rope. I am just now starting the entire process. it is nice to know there is a network of folks willing to share stories, answer questions and be supportive to us "newbies". I look forward to being a part of this amazing network.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing that email. I am 53 and have reached the end of my rope. I am just now starting the entire process. it is nice to know there is a network of folks willing to share stories, answer questions and be supportive to us "newbies". I look forward to being a part of this amazing network.

    ReplyDelete
  8. emails like those are priceless!

    ReplyDelete