Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Saturday, September 10, 2011

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

As I've mentioned before, I'm a traveller.

I was shown from a very young age the love of traveling and experiencing the diverse cultures of the world.

Now as an adult, vacations are why I pinch my pennies for most of the year.  

But do you know what?  I didn't realize it at the time, but I missed out on some pretty fun stuff while traveling when I was a fatty.

I remember having to take afternoon naps in Athens, Greece.  While everyone else went out to experience the ancient Greek Gods and magnificent ruins, I stayed back at the hotel because I was tired.

I remember not climbing as far as the rest of them inside a pyramid in Egypt because I was just too hot and out of breath to continue the rest of the way up the cramped tunnel.  I didn't get to see the  tomb that was waiting for me at the end of the tunnel.  I still wonder to this day what it must have looked like in that tomb.

I remember a few months before I decided to have lap band surgery, I sat down in an airplane seat and realized that the seat belt was so tight that I would soon need a seat belt extender.  I knew in that instant that my fat would soon be even more of a barrier to what I could see and do in my life.

Fast forward to today, I am currently planning an upcoming trip in the new year to Southeast Asia.  

I know how hot and humid it can be in that part of the world.  And guess what? I know that the heat will not bother me as much now that I am much healthier.  I know that I will be able to explore ancient Indonesian temples with ease and not have to wonder where the closest place to sit down is.  Lastly, I know that I will be comfortable and fit easily in the airplane seat for that 14 hour flight.

This is just one of the reasons why I choose to fight the good fight each and every day for improved health...why I choose to exercise....why I choose to make good food choices.

Lastly, I'll leave you with some old travel photos...enjoy!

Spanish Wells, Eleuthera Bahamas (2006):


London (2005):


South Africa (2007):


Hong Kong (2007):

10 comments:

  1. this is so true. when i went to europe at 274 lbs, at the height of summer, i was miserable...but I thought that was normal, you know? When I went to Europe again, when I was on my die hard plan, and down to 195, it was like a completely different trip - I could hike up and down stairs with my suitcase, walk everywhere, generally really enjoy myself. I can't wait to get back there!! Your trip in the new year sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, you get around girl! Good for you....I too love to travel and being at this weight makes it a whole lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ... you don't even look like 'you'. You are really something :) which translates to: so inspirational !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope one day I can travel that much! And hopefully I will be as successful as you in my weight loss so I can enjoy it to its fullest extent! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so humiliating when you're the only one bright red, sweating and out of breath, and so many of us choose to just miss out on the fun things in life so that we don't have to experience that embarrassment - it must be an AMAZING feeling to not worry about that anymore. Make up for lost time in Asia, it'll be incredible! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so badly would love to go on a trip with you one day! I want to see the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year when we were visiting my husbands family they decided to take the 2 mile hike up MT Timpanogas, UT to the caves( its about 10,000 ft to the top). I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Well, I was so humiliated because I had to stop almost near the top and let everyone go without me. Even my 65 year old mother in law made it. That was probably one of the pivotal moments that I decided to really consider the Lap Band. I am so happy that you are thin, fit and able to really enjoy your travels now. Someday I will be right there with ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand exactly what you're talking about in this post. I am at my halfway point and have already noticed a huge difference this past week on our cruise vacation. I started to notice a little achyness in my feet after EIGHT hours of standing and walking, but not within the first hour or so as would have been the case in the past. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done amazing things. You look incredible. I am certain that his vacation will be much more enjoyable for you than the past ones.
    I envy that you get to travel so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your success. If you were anything like I was, just think back to how difficult it was to go up and down stairs! Thanks for being an inspiration.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete