Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Anyone Up For a Comfort Walk?

When I was obese and would be stressed out about something in my life (work, relationships, or just life in general) I would turn to food for comfort.  Who doesn't?  We all do it.

My usual comfort foods from the past:
  • An entire box of Kraft Mac n' Cheese
  • A row of Oreo cookies
  • A pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream
  • My favorite deep-dish cheese pizza (the whole thing) with a bucket of Ranch dressing on the side.  YUM.
Sure, I could still turn to these foods today for some stress relief and some comfort, but I don't usually.

Now when I'm stressing out or feel the need to eat some comfort food, I try to redirect my energy to exercise instead. 

Yep, that would be a "comfort" walk or a "comfort" Zumba class.  Don't you roll your eyes at me! :-)

If you had told me I would be talking about exercise this way a year ago, I would have told you that you were on crack.  Exercise? for COMFORT? What glue are you sniffin'?!  It's amazing how much my mind has changed about the concept of exercise.

I always feel so much better after exercising - a feeling that I have never had from eating a trough of Mac n' Cheese.

So the next time you're craving some comfort food, can you instead go for a "comfort" bike ride or perhaps a "comfort" walk?  I know I will.

6 comments:

  1. I need to try this. Last night I let comfort eating get the best of me and while I'm trying to not let it bring me down...I'm a teeny bit disappointed in myself.

    Ahhhh well. You learn from mistakes, right?

    I do crave my morning exercise though, I don't feel the same without anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also go for comfort "exercise" now. I'll go ride a bike, go run, go for a walk or a hike. etc. The best part...It's FREE. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. I already feel after a solid month of daily exercise that my body is responding delightfully to these changes.

    I'm going to make a promise that the next time I need a "comfort" or stress release that I try your comfort walk (or Zumba!) instead. I believe body and mind both will thank me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you said "Don't you roll your eyes at me! :-)" I had to giggle. I wish I had you somewhere near me to motivate and train with. Oh well, great post cause it gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have read this before I ate all of that trail mix earlier today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you saw my eyes roll from all the way over there!! :)
    I am (not) patiently waiting for the exercise epiphany to take over my soul.... Waiting....

    ReplyDelete